Are you a young professional with a passion for sports media? Do you dream of gaining hands-on experience at international curling events? Look no further! The World Curling Federation is thrilled to announce the opening of applications for the Sports Media Trainee Programme 2024. This prestigious program offers aspiring sports journalists and photographers the opportunity to immerse themselves in the world of curling and develop their skills on a global stage.
Why Apply for the Sports Media Trainee Programme?
The Sports Media Trainee Programme is designed to provide young professionals with invaluable media experience at international curling events. By participating in this program, you will have the chance to work alongside industry experts, interview athletes, create engaging content for social media, and report on the thrilling competition. Your work will be published on the World Curling Federation website and social media channels, reaching a global audience and potentially opening doors to future opportunities in sports media.
Categories and Roles
The Sports Media Trainee Programme offers two categories for applicants: Communications Assistant and Photographer. Each role has specific responsibilities and requirements.
As a trainee Communications Assistant, you will play a vital role in capturing the essence of curling events through your writing and social media skills. Your duties will include interviewing athletes, writing captivating features, creating engaging content for social media platforms, and providing comprehensive coverage of the competition. Your work will be showcased on the World Curling Federation website and social media channels, which can be utilized by Member Associations and external media outlets to enhance their coverage of curling events.
If you have a keen eye for capturing the perfect shot and a passion for photography, the trainee Photographer role is perfect for you. As a photographer, you will have the opportunity to capture, edit, select, and distribute captivating images of curling events. Your photographs will showcase the excitement, skill, and intensity of the sport, contributing to the visual narrative of curling competitions. Your work will be featured on the World Curling Federation’s platforms, allowing curling enthusiasts worldwide to relive the action through your lens.
To be considered for the Sports Media Trainee Programme, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Age: Applicants must be between 18 and 35 years old at the time of the application deadline.
- Education: A high school diploma or equivalent is the minimum level of education required.
- Language Skills: Excellent understanding, speaking, and writing skills in English are essential.
- Passion for Sports: A strong interest in sports, particularly in curling, is highly desirable.
- Flexibility and Independence: Applicants must be ready to travel independently and work in an international, multicultural environment.
- Team Player: While being able to work independently, applicants should also possess strong teamwork skills.
- Ability to Thrive Under Pressure: The ability to work under time constraints, prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment, and receive guidance and feedback from mentors and team members is crucial.
World Curling Federation Events
If selected for the Sports Media Trainee Programme, you will have the opportunity to attend one of the following World Curling Federation events in 2024:
- World Mixed Doubles Curling Championship 2024 / World Senior Curling Championships 2024
- Location: Oestersund, Sweden
- Dates: 20-27 April
- Pan Continental Curling Championships 2024
- Location: To be determined (TBD)
- Dates: October-November
- Le Gruyère AOP European Curling Championships 2024
- Location: To be determined (TBD)
- Dates: November
The World Curling Federation will cover all travel, accommodation, and incidental expenses for the selected trainees, ensuring that financial constraints do not hinder your participation in this remarkable opportunity.
Submitting a compelling application is the first step towards joining the Sports Media Trainee Programme. The application process varies depending on the category you are applying for. Let’s take a closer look at the requirements for each role:
If you are applying as a photographer, your application must include a portfolio of ten sports images that showcase your talent and creativity. Alongside the portfolio, you should explain why you selected these specific photos, highlighting the unique qualities that make them stand out.
Communications Assistant Application
Communications Assistant applicants must complete two tasks:
- Essay: Submit a persuasive essay of 400 to 600 words on one of the following topics:
- How sport impacts your life
- How sport can impact the world
- Instagram Reel: Create a captivating Instagram reel between 7-15 seconds promoting the World Mixed Doubles Curling Championship 2023 in Gangneung, Korea, which took place from 22-29 April 2023. Incorporate the provided video assets, include the event dates, full name of the championship, location, and event logo. In the caption, explain your selection process for the text, colors, editing style, footage, and music. The event hashtag #WMDCC should also be included.
To complete your application, fill in the application form before the deadline on Wednesday, 24 January 2024, at 17:00 (UTC).
The selection committee will apply the following principles during the selection process:
- Gender Balance: Ensuring a fair representation of genders among the selected trainees.
- Geographical Balance: Striving for diversity by selecting candidates from various regions.
Previous Trainee Experiences and Testimonials
Don’t just take our word for it! Hear about the experiences of past trainees in their blogs and gain insights into the program from their unique perspectives. Additionally, watch the video below to learn more about the Sports Media Trainee Programme:
Learn More and Stay Connected
To learn more about the Sports Media Trainee Programme and stay connected with the World Curling Federation, visit the official website. Engage with the World Curling Federation on social media platforms such as X, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Weibo by searching the hashtag #curling.
Don’t miss this incredible opportunity to embark on a journey that combines your passion for sports media with the thrilling world of curling. Apply for the Sports Media Trainee Programme 2024 today, and take your career to new heights!